What is it
Alphabet Hunt teaches children to recognise letter sounds and shapes. Through learning what letters look like and making links with the corresponding sounds, children will be laying the foundations for learning to read.
The app has a dog as its main character; children have to help him by catching the letters as they appear on the screen.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"This is how you do it, you have to shoot the letters." - Girl aged 3
"I like it when the dog gets the letters." - Boy aged 3
- Develops awareness of letters
- Helps children match letter sounds to letter shapes
- Teaches alphabetical order
What our experts think
Our little testers loved the dog character and enjoyed the act of catching the letters and ‘helping’ the dog. Alphabet Hunt is a simple game that teaches children letter sounds and improves their ability to recognise letters shapes. There is an option to play the game in different languages which is a good addition for bilingual children.
It would be even better if...
The voice stating the letters could be clearer. It would also have been a good addition to have an image of the spoken items (e.g a crown).
- Brands: 1tucan
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, French, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- Android version: 2.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Literacy
Speech, language and communication skills