What is it
Designed for independent learning, at home and in class, BrainPOP UK Featured movie app provides 700+ educational animations for children aged 7-14 to independently study and reinforce ideas & concepts across Science; English; Maths; Humanities; PSHE (Personal, Social, Health, Economic); Design & Technology; and The Arts.
1) The BrainPOP UK Featured Movie app is free to download, and available on Android and iOS.
2) The free featured movie and quiz changes daily, which provides an incentive to the learner to open the app every day.
3) Parents can subscribe via the BrainPop website (unlocking access to our website AND app) or in-app for mobile only access (iOS only).
BrainPOP is cross curricular and cross phase; all topics are mapped and navigable via UK curriculum subjects and sub- subjects.
Learners can play the featured movie directly from the start screen, minimising the risk of attention loss. The animations are carefully constructed to set out the learning outcome at the start (via the mechanism of the “Dear Tim & Moby” letter) and proceed to explain the concept or idea via a 3-5 mins narrative. Once the movie is complete learners are invited to take the interactive multiple choice quiz. The 10 question multiple choice quizzes that accompany the topics track responses and offer immediate feedback on right/wrong answers. The quiz results are retained to the individual device. At any point the learner (or teacher; parent) will be able to see which topics have been studied and the quiz results at any point. This provides a simple assessment format that guides learners towards areas that need improvement or reinforcement.
The easy access to related topics means the learner can explore around the topic – this encouragement to be autonomous in their learning builds confidence.
The app is optimised to take advantage of the devices’ in built accessibility features.
What our team of testers said
"I did not know the inside of the TV is coated with stripes or dots of phosphors - really interesting" - Girl, aged 10
"I've never heard that before!" (clicks to find out more) - Boy, aged 7
"It's great that children can listen to the video and read the words, it means they can choose" - Observing childcare professional
- Encourages learning across a huge range of subjects
- Supports homework and learning at home
- With full subtitling, key vocabulary, and predictive search, BrainPOP embeds literacy across subjects (as recommended by OFSTED).
What our experts think
Brain pop is an incredibly educational resource for children with such a wide range and variety of videos suitable for a wide range of Key Stages (and even teaching adults a thing or two!). We were delighted to see that each category has an image as well as a text title making it easier to use and more accessible for children. It’s wonderful to see full subtitles as well as audio to support different learning types, children with hearing difficulties and encourage literacy too. The app really captured children’s interest with one 7 year old who particularly struggles with listening and following instructions concentrating on different videos for nearly 20 minutes! The videos are a good length and well designed to make them appealing. We are not surprised that this was a BETT Award 2014 finalist – educational app category (iOS) – it’s a wonderful app we would recommend to parents and teachers alike.
It would be even better if...
The children found the quizzes too hard – we’d love to see these pitched at a more achievable level to encourage engagement.
More mini-games and other interactive features could further improve fun and engagement.
- Brands: Brain Pop
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: British English
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires version iOS 5.0 or later
- Android version: Requires version 2.2 or up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Art & design
Computing and Technology
Health, hygiene & self-care
Information & communication Technology (ICT)
Personal, social & emotional development
Personal, social, health & economic education (PSHE)
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world
- Additional features: Use of Brain Pop on the website and app is £4.99 per month (use of Brain Pop purely on the app is £3.99 per month).