What is it
Crackers and Goo is a maths game that teaches a range of maths skills and critical thinking skills to Primary School age children from 6 – 10 years old. At the lower levels, the player has to drag a ‘cracker’ to complete the pattern testing colour recognition, number recognition and basic counting. The levels of the game progress gradually through more complex pattern recognition, addition, subtraction, multiplication to requiring complex mental arithmetic and even some basic algebra.
• Over 6,000 different games, 16 different levels and 100 hours of play
• Multiple players with separate tracking of scores and stats: each player has a customized name, sneaker avatar, and game play progress.
• Hints for completing patterns in every game
• Clues for math strategies to use in more complex games
What our team of testers said
"I like how you have to put them in the places" - Girl aged 9
"It's really good, it's fun" - Boy aged 6
- Develops maths skills from simple counting to complex mental arithmetic
- Children learn pattern recognition and sorting
- At the more difficult stages, children practice rounding, multiplying and even algebraic concepts
What our experts think
This is a great app to help develop maths skills across a wide range of ages and abilities. In our testing, children from 6 to 10 enjoyed the game, particularly making patterns, and it was great to see the kids using their mental arithmetic. The demo was useful in teaching the children how to use the app. The app encourages them to practice their skills and helps them to progress.
It would be even better if...
– On first use, it was more self-explanatory in terms of what you need to do so the demo did not have to be watched initially.
– There was an option to slow the speed of the moving crackers and goo, particularly at the lower levels.
Teachers may find this app useful in the classroom to help teach and get children to practice their maths skills.
- Brands: PJ Apps
- No 3rd party adverts
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Extras for Parents: There is information targeted at both parents and teachers to explain how to best use the app, what a child can learn from the app etc.
- Languages available: American English
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Extras for parents: There is information targeted at both parents and teachers to explain how to best use the app, what a child can learn from the app etc.
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.1 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
Parenting & behavioural aids
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Numeracy, counting & money