What is it
Stomp your way around a magical, 3D prehistoric island with your six baby dino friends. Discover the world of dinosaurs, learn amazing facts and turn each adventure into your very own Storybook to read with parents at bedtime! What tale will you tell?
- Fill a Storybook with your own adventure Tales, to be personalised and read with others
- Discover an island teeming with prehistoric wildlife
- Use the Word Wheels to ask Darwin, the talking dino, questions you have about dinosaurs
- Explore an epic land filled with caves, forests, rivers and even an erupting volcano
- Enjoy the musical boneyard, river rapids, boulder bowling, lava slides and more
- Unleash your creativity with the Berry Blaster to make your dinos stand out from the rest!
- Hatch seven baby dinosaurs to play with and nurture
- Collect loads of fossils and minerals to add to your Treasure Trove
A secure section of the app, controlled by a pin code, where you can:
- Choose the length of time your child plays the game
- Set child’s reading age to make the game more personal to them
- Receive email notifications when your child has created a new Tale for you to read together
- Get help and advice about playing the game with your child
What our team of testers said
"My dinosaur can do cool tricks." - Girl aged 6
"The scary cave was really cool." - Girl aged 6
- Builds vocabulary
- Can encourage a love of reading
- Fosters an interest in natural history
What our experts think
Children thoroughly enjoyed interacting with the dinosaur characters in Dino Tales – especially making them sneeze! We particularly liked the way the app encourages curiosity about dinosaurs, as children are able to ask and find answers to their own questions. This is a nice way to foster curiosity about natural history.
After playing, our testers enjoyed reading their personalised record of their adventures – and being able to swap out some of the words (e.g. “giggled” with “chirped”) is an excellent way to develop vocabulary skills and comprehension. We really like the way the game can encourage reluctant readers to use the app, with the opportunity to promote an interest in reading.
There were some difficulties while exploring the island, with the controls being too sensitive or the characters getting stuck, but this didn’t get in the way of children’s enjoyment of the app.
- Brands: Kuato
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 8.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Animals & Sealife
Learning to read
Personal, social & emotional development
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world