What is it
Get ready for some DIY in Dr. Panda’s Handyman
Help Dr. Panda complete a number of household projects from building a wall to installing a bathtub and get acquainted with the basic tools.
Hammers, wrenches, pliers and more are there for your child to help Dr. Panda as well as lots of opportunity to let your child’s creativity flow by mixing paints and using different brushes to make the projects their own. There are over 13 different activities where you can help cute animal families with a number of projects like assembling a bed, fixing a chair, setting up an aquarium, and even using a jackhammer to tear up old floors!
What our team of testers said
"Look, it's all done" - Girl aged 2½
"That one needs to be in there." - Girl aged 3
"I'm decorating it now - look I made it purple" - Boy aged 4½
- Encourages children to understand DIY - supporting development of their understanding of the world & problem solving skills
- Includes puzzles and shape sorters which help children practice logical thinking
- Decorating the furniture encourages children to be creative
What our experts think
This is another fabulous app from Dr. Panda – a huge hit with our little testers whilst subtly encouraging development in a range of areas.
We were delighted to see such a wide mix of activities within the app – the variety certainly helped keep our little testers stay engaged. The activities also help children practice different skills, supporting various areas of development in line with EYFS. This includes Cognitive/Mathematics, Creative/Expressive Arts and Design and Understanding the world. For example, repairing legs on the chair is like a jigsaw puzzle, and helps develop logical thinking. There are also sorting games to help children practice categorisation.
Helping children to understand DIY gives them a great insight into what is involved in being a Handyman and what is required to repair household items supporting development of their understanding of people and communities.
Children particularly liked fixing the objects and then being able to paint them afterwards which really encouraged their creative side. We love how the panda gives children a high five when they have repaired something, our little testers loved this too encouraging them to keep playing.
It would be even better if...
When the rewards popped up this confused some of the children, who thought they needed to put the objects in the recycling bin (so they didn’t work very well as rewards!).
- Brands: Dr. Panda
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Chinese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 4.3 or later
- Android version: 2.0.1 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Categorisation & comparison
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Fine motor skills
Logic, strategy & problem solving
People and communities
Personal, social & emotional development
Physical & motor skills
Understanding the world