What is it
My first weighing exercises enables children to practise mathematics in an interactive ‘real life’ way. The aim of the app is to balance the scales – children have to use their mental addition skills in order to do this.
The app helps children understand the concept of weight (grams and ounces.) There are 3 modes within this weighing game; the first 2 modes are designed to assist with counting and weighing and have 3 levels of difficulty in each.
Tested on a Kurio
What our team of testers said
"On fruit, do I have to balance it out to the same weight?" - Girl aged 8
- Enables children to practise weighing items
- Practises mental addition
- Teaches about ounces and pounds
What our experts think
We thought this app was brilliant for reinforcing the concept of weights and measure. The app can be differentiated to meet the needs of the child and provide the correct level of challenge. There are three modes which involve the balancing of weighing scales – children have to use their mental addition skills to make the required amounts.
This is a good challenging app for children in KS2 – it has clear links to the school curriculum for Numeracy.
It would be even better if...
We feel that the app could be improved by the addition of clearer instructions (ones which the children can follow without adult input.)
- Brands: A&R Entertainment
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Apple version: iPad
5.0 or later
- Android version: Minimum 1.5
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Space and measure