What is it
This educational app teaches children about the world:
- Map puzzle: correctly locate the country shape within its continent
- Map quiz: correctly identify the location of a country (by name) within a map of the continent
- Flag flashcards: memorise the flags of different countries around the world
- Flag quiz: identify the country name from its flag
- Spinning globe: click on flags within the spinning globe to find out basic information about each country including flag, language, currency, capital, population and a character saying ‘hello’ in the local language.
Other features include: a passport personalised to the user with stamps to show progress, a suitcase that can be covered in stickers acquired through the game, travel photos and movies provided at the end of certain stages.
The free version includes 20 countries, and map/flag aspects for Oceania only. The paid version include 193 (all United Nations members as of November 2012).
What our team of testers said
"It helps you learn your countries" - Girl aged 9
"It's fun...I like the puzzles" - Boy aged 5
- Encourages interest in Geography and knowledge about the world
- Teaches children to recognise country flags
- Develops knowledge of where countries are located throughout the world
What our experts think
This was a very popular app with the children and had an obvious impact on their knowledge of flags and where countries are located. The children really enjoyed it.
Even children as young as 5 enjoyed the puzzle features, however it’s most appropriate for 6 – 8 year olds as, to really appreciate the app, reading skills and some knowledge of countries is required.
It would be even better if...
We’d to see an option to make the puzzle slightly harder to retain the interest of 9+ year olds.
It would also be great to have an easier way to turn the background music off (not just within the parents area) and to avoid pop-ups asking us to rate the app.
Talk to your child about the countries in the app, use any relevant personal knowledge to develop their interest (e.g. countries you’ve visited, where friends and relatives live). If this app sparks an interest, encourage and help your child to find out more about countries (e.g. through books in your home, the internet, things you see when you’re out and about).
- Brands: XING INC
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: American English, Japanese
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Apple version: iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 4.3 or later
- Android version: Android 4.0 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Geography
Understanding the world