What is it
Hairy Phonics 3 will help your child learn 9 phonemes (sounds): ar, or, er, ir, ur, a-e, o-e, i-e, o-e, u-e.
– Guides your child through a structured sequence of learning.
– Phonic animations link an action with the sound.
– Trace the letters with your finger.
– Play games to blend the phonemes into a whole word.
– Release 6 new Hairies at the yeti igloo.
What our team of testers said
"Look at my letters, I'm getting good at writing." - Girl aged 5
"Sh-ar- k... Shark!" - Boy aged 5
"Haha, Hairy skating is funny!" - Boy aged 5
- Develops phonemic awareness
- Encourages children to write letters accurately
- Encourages children to segment and rebuild words
What our experts think
Hairy Phonics is a great app for developing phonemic awareness; it is clearly developed with how children learn in mind. There are clear links made between the phoneme’s sound, how it is written and the words it can be used in.
The game was really good as it encouraged children to use their segmenting skills to build the words. Our testers loved the animations and found the app engaging and fun to use.
The Hairy characters (which the children loved to play with) made children want to carry on playing – they wanted to real ease them all and see what happened at the end (they weren’t disappointed?)
We are delighted to see (like all the apps in this series) there are no links out of the app to the web, more apps, in-app purchasing or adverts. Whilst other Hairy apps and the Nessy.com website are mention in the information area they do not have links.
It would be even better if...
We loved these apps but we would have liked a parent gate for the settings, more phonemes (so our children could carry on playing and learning – although we are aware more are available through buying the sister apps Hairy Phonics 1 and Hairy Phonics 2) and the ability to set up more than one profile.
- Brands: Nessy
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Partly - some unrestricted links
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone
Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Android version: 2.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: English
Learning to read
Learning to write
Speech, language and communication skills