What is it
Children learn by creating their own characters and building their own story worlds. Children engage with English in a fun, playful and extremely creative environment. 52 animated interactive stories, 35 songs, 200 games and 700 focus words – a whole year of learning!
- Learn by making.
- Focus on high frequency early words.
- Accelerated vocabulary acquisition through text, voice and picture pairings.
- Develops comprehension by engaging with words in context.
- Every third story is a catchy song-story to recap vocabulary.
- Improves pronunciation with neutral British and American accents.
- Positive reinforcement through challenges, rewards and surprises.
- Completely immersive, easy to use interface, no English needed.
What our team of testers said
"I like the dancing monster." - Girl aged 7
"The music is cool." - Boy aged 7
- Develops early reading skills
- Aids recognition and spelling of common words
- Develops early comprehension skills
What our experts think
Hey Monster! has simple game play and engaging graphics. We really liked the way in which the children could personalise their own icon character at the beginning, and the children really enjoyed meeting the monster and dancing along with him.
The app exposed the children to lots of simple vocabulary and it was put into the correct context – this is good for building early reading skills and for aiding spelling (and subsequently writing). We really liked the way the words were put into a story showing children how words are combined to make sentences. However, in the free version we found the level of the vocabulary was too simple for older children, who are reading texts at an expected standard for their age-range; so we think the app is better for younger children or those who are struggling with English.
- Brands: TechSpaghetti
- No 3rd party adverts
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 9.3 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Comprehension
Learning to read
Learning to write
Speech, language and communication skills