What is it
Learning Time with Timmy is a collection of games designed to help preschoolers learn numbers, colours and shapes in English! Join the star of television series Timmy Time and discover new English words with Timmy and his friends. Play three exciting games and learn over 60 new English words. Listen to the narrator and follow the instructions to place toys and classroom objects in a box, pop balloons to learn numbers, colours and shapes and sweep away leaves and snow to find food and objects hidden beneath.
– Learn over 60 English words including numbers, colours, shapes, food, animals, classroom objects and toys
– Practise listening and hear the Timmy narrator say the words aloud
– Play exciting games that get more challenging as you get smarter
– Collect stickers and videos as you progress in the app
What our team of testers said
“The lady said yellow circle.” - Boy aged 3
“The stickers are funny, I like them.” - Boy aged 2
“My 4 yr old with autistic spectrum disorder loves this app, it's now become a firm favourite.” - Parent
- Encourages children to practice numbers, colours and shapes
- Helps children learn the importance of listening to and following instructions!
- Supports children to recognise and learn the name of household objects
- Practices fine motor control - such as rubbing to clear the screen and dragging stickers
What our experts think
We first reviewed this app in July 2015 and recently reviewed the revised version in early 2016. We already liked the app but are delighted to see how much impact the improvements have had, raising the app to our Recommended status.
Children, particularly Timmy Time fans, thoroughly enjoyed playing the app. The sticker and video rewards provided a great motivation to keep playing and learning too! Improvements to the app had significantly improved the ease of use, our 3 year old testers had very few issues using the app as did some 2 year olds (although most 2 year olds needed a little support such as with dragging the stickers – a great way to develop their fine motor control of course).
The app supports learning in a range of areas, including numbers and shapes, which are part of the Early Years Foundation Stage goals as well as encouraging children to listen to instructions (a skill they are typically developing at this age).
It would be even better if...
We suggest parents encourage their children to explore this app and find the different games and rewards. Links to these pop up on screen between games (and the rewards area can be found behind the trophy any time) and whilst some children of this age will explore and find these without any trouble, some we observed just stick to the first game they find – we wouldn’t want them to miss out!
- Brands: British Council
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- Android version: 2.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Categorisation & comparison
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Fine motor skills
Listening and attention
Numeracy, counting & money
Personal, social & emotional development
Physical & motor skills
Speech, language and communication skills