What is it
This is a learning app that helps to teach mental maths children to practise their mental maths skills against the clock. Overall it is a good app for encouraging speed of recall; an important skill which children need to develop.
There are three different types of activities:
– Starter questions
– Progress tests to grade mental maths ability and track scores
– Practice tests to double check new skills
The app covers a wide range of concepts: counting, number value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, time, measure and shape. Questions are read to the children so they do not need to be able to read them (they will however need to be able to read the answer.)
What our team of testers said
"It helps me to get some answers to choose from when I'm stuck" - Boy aged 6.5
"Yay! I got full marks!" - Girl aged 8
- Encourages speed of recall
- Practises mental maths skills
- Develops children's understanding of counting, number value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, time, measure and shape
What our experts think
A good app for allowing children to improve their speed of recall in a wide range of mathematical areas. We like the fact the app covers a breadth of mathematical concepts which will be taught in KS1 (and KS2).
The tests are a great way for children to see their own progress (and for parents to monitor how their children are doing and which areas they need to focus on.)
We like the way in which children can set their own challenges and choose which activity and which mathematical concept they would like to work on.
It would be even better if...
The app covers a lot of concepts and has a lot of content, but it is all approached in the same way; same children may become bored with this.
- Brands: Bloomsbury
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Numeracy, counting & money
Space and measure
Telling the time and date