What is it
Moka Mera Lingua features two characters, Atlas the blue shark, and the little orange monster Moka Mera, speaking different languages. These languages can be freely changed based on what language you wish your child to learn and your child’s first language. The game features everyday words and phrases, teaching your child basic vocabulary and pronunciation. The languages currently available are: Arabic (Levantine), Chinese (Mandarin), English, Finnish, French, German, Russian, Spanish and Swedish.
The gameplay contains no text, so reading skills are not necessary. Everything is about listening, understanding what the characters say, their needs, and knowing what to do. Moka Mera speaks to children in the foreign language first, then children can tap on Atlas to hear the same word or phrase in their first language.
There are four different rooms to explore, all with different mini-games:
- Playroom: Listen to the Moka Mera song on the radio, water a plant or play with drums and maracas. Record your voice with the Parrot game, while naming 70 different items. After the recording, your voice can be played back straight or as if said by an elephant, cow or frog!
- Kitchen: Prepare food they ask for while learning the names of basic food items, then wash up the dishes afterwards. While scrubbing the plates and utensils clean, don’t forget to add water and soap for best results.
- Toilet: Rehearse basic toilet routines including flushing, wiping and washing hands. Practice naming colours by helping Atlas and Moka Mera fish up various things from the bathtub.
- Bedroom: Help Atlas and Moka Mera go to sleep by bouncing a sheep over a fence while learning the numbers from one to twenty. Or look through the spyglass to help Atlas and Moka Mera find various items around the city. Can you find the carousel, firetruck or even the sea monster?
The app was developed in Finland and is based on the Finnish method of early childhood education. It has been developed in collaboration with educators, researchers, and children. The app utilizes the power of ”learning through play”, a scientifically proven concept of learning which combines training with gameplay. Moka Mera Lingua doesn’t have a beginning nor end, children can simply play and explore in any way they choose.
Welcome to the world of Moka Mera!Moka Mera Lingua is a fun and creative way for a child to learn new languages. It is an educational language-training appli…
What our team of testers said
"Does this mean I can basically speak Spanish now?" - Girl aged 8
"I love the songs mummy!" - Girl aged 4
- Introduces children to French, German, Spanish, and five other languages
- Encourages children to practise self-care skills through imaginative play
- Supports counting and colour matching
What our experts think
Moka Mera Lingua does an excellent job of using imaginative play to introduce young children to a choice of eight different languages in an accessible way. Just as a child would learn their first language, Moka Mera Lingua exposes them to repetitive phrases and object names as they play, so they can learn the language with the correct pronunciation.
The app is completely text-free to make the game accessible to young children. Tapping on the blue shark allows children to hear what the orange monster has said in their first language, which is very useful – like having their own personal translator. The coloured bar shows the character Moka Mera’s needs, getting shorter to show that he is hungry/tired/bored/needs the toilet, which is good as it encourages children to keep exploring the rest of the treehouse to keep them learning.
Another feature that stands out in this app is the inclusion of other useful skills. Children can practise early maths skills by counting sheep in the bedroom, or colour matching when they go fishing in the bathroom. Self-care routines such as preparing food, washing dishes, and going to the toilet are also in the game and feel very fun and interactive. We think children will especially enjoy the musical toilet game!
- Brands: Moilo
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available: Arabic (Levantine), Chinese (Mandarin), English, Finnish, French, German, Russian, Spanish and Swedish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- Android version: 4.4 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Health, hygiene & self-care
Learning to talk
Memory, concentration & attention
Numeracy, counting & money
Personal, social & emotional development
Speech, language and communication skills