What is it
Montessori Letter Sounds is a great app supports children with their phonic knowledge. There are 4 games (which link to four steps of learning); I Spy to enrich vocabulary and identify sounds; Letter sounds where children memorise letter sounds and shapes, they have the opportunity to practice writing them. The next two games are unlocked when the children have progressed through the first two; mix and match focusses on the sounds children can hear and sound; the final stage is called sound it out and enables children to have a go at writing words.
What our team of testers said
"I like the I Spy game." - Girl aged 5
"It's good, I can practice my writing." - Girl aged 5
- Enriches vocabulary
- Helps children identify sounds in words
- Encourages children to write letters
- Develops phonic knowledge and understanding
What our experts think
Letter Sounds encourages children to practice pronouncing and identifying sounds, developing phonics skills that support learning to read. Children loved tracing the shape of letters, which is one of the first steps in learning to write. Games such as this help children to learn through repetition, and rewarding marbles encourages them to keep playing.
It would be even better if...
More recognisable objects could be used – for example, children might not know what a bison is. Also some of the pronunciations were not very clear, which might make it difficult for children to match the letter sounds.
- Brands: Edoki Academy
- British English
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, French, Italian, Spanish
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: English
Fine motor skills
Learning to read
Learning to talk
Learning to write
Personal, social & emotional development
Physical & motor skills
Pincer grip and writing
Speech, language and communication skills