What is it
In Duckie Deck’s Robo buddies the challenge is to assemble a new friend for Bolt, the helpful robot. By uncovering each scene and finding the matching pieces, the player can unlock the parts needed to build a new robot buddy.
The player uncovers the hidden image by wiping the black away with their finger and then matches this image to one of the cards to the left – e.g. the matching card for a cake is the candles.
This game features:
– Vibrant graphics
– Fun sound effects
– A friendly robot
– A child-friendly user interface
What our team of testers said
"It's good and not too difficult" - Girl age 4
"I like clearing the screen" - Girl age 2
- Develops cognitive skill as they guess the picture and work out what matches
- Encourages the children to talk about the pictures
What our experts think
Children thoroughly enjoyed this app which retained their interest for some time. Robo Buddies requires children to use their fine motor skills to clear the hidden image and their cognitive skills to work out which of the 3 cards shown matches the image in some way. The children who tried this app found it sufficiently challenging, fun and rewarding to retain their interest.
We were pleased to see how building the robot provided a goal and a natural end point to encourage children to play for a restricted period.
It would be even better if...
Some children looked for an exit route to get back to the starting screen but couldn’t find one – this would be a useful addition.
- Brands: Duckie Deck
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: Arabic, Chinese, Cornish, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
iOS 5.0 or later
- Android version: Android 2.2
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Categorisation & comparison
Colour, shape and pattern recognition