What is it
By snapping together graphical programming blocks, children can make characters move, jump, dance, and sing.
In the process, children learn to solve problems, design projects, and express themselves creatively on the computer.
What our team of testers said
"It's awesome." - Girl aged 8
"Look I'm making them all walk to school." - Girl aged 10
- Teaches children about piecing coding blocks together
- Allows children to experiment with the effects of coding
- Encourages creativity and storytelling
What our experts think
Coding is part of the National Curriculum so it’s great to see a fun app that can introduce children to the basics of how coding works and get them enthusiastic about it too! Children loved having the freedom to explore and just try things out with Scratch Jr, creating animations by piecing coding blocks together.
Being able to design and add your own characters was really popular, with some testers spending lots of time in this area and even coming up with stories, using the speech bubble blocks to get their characters to interact with one another.
It would be even better if...
It can be difficult to understand what to do at first, but tapping on the question mark icon will bring up a video tutorial (‘Quick Into to Scratch Jr’) that our testers found useful.
- Brands: Code-to-Learn Foundation
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- Android version: 4.2 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Coding
Computing and Technology
Information & communication Technology (ICT)
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world