What is it
Discover how simple machines work
Use a lever, screws, wheels and axles, inclined planes, wedges, and pulleys to send satellites into orbit, split an iceberg, make music, and more!
Conduct your own experiments
Change each machine and see what happens: can a scooter travel as fast and far as a bike? How many pulleys do you need to lift a spaceship?
Investigate invisible forces
See how each machine changes the direction, distance, or strength of your force. How do they make it easier to destroy the castle or lift a fish tank?
What our team of testers said
"I loved cracking the ice because you don't know what's inside." - Girl aged 7
"Cycle! wanna do a backwheeler." - Boy aged 8
- Children can learn about forces through experimentation
- Free play allows children to explore at their own pace
- Promotes discussion around forces
What our experts think
Our testers really enjoyed exploring this game and the freedom they had to try out lots of little experiments with forces, without the pressure of failure. This is a fantastic way for children to learn about the effects of variations in different machines.
For example in the pulley game, after trying the different machines out one boy was able to explain that the machine with more pulleys was stronger than the machine with only one pulley. The games give children a foundation to support their growing knowledge of forces.
It would be even better if...
The parental controls are there but not very secure – children this age are able to swipe up with two fingers so would easily be able to access the app purchasing links.
The ‘screw’ game wasn’t as popular as the others as children didn’t really get what was happening – the game was demonstrating that turning screws either direction moves them up or down – so an adult might need to discuss this with children.
In some games the tools overlap the exit button and children were confused when they accidentally exited the game.
- Brands: Tinybop
- British English
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Partly - some unrestricted links
- Languages available: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Trial and error learning
Understanding the world