What is it
The Traditional Storyteller Series is a lovely collection of stories from around the world. The app includes a video of the story being told by a friendly, animated storyteller to help engage children in the story. There are also games to help children understand the story and practice telling the story themselves too!
Each Traditional Storyteller App includes:
• A video of a classic tale from around the world
• Map Game – Children rearrange illustrated audio tiles into the right order – a fun way to understand the structure of the story
• Listen and Repeat game – Children listen to a short section of the story, and record themselves re-telling it
• Tell Your Story game – Building on the skills learned in the other games, the child can now record their own version of the story.
• Best bits – A short selection of the ‘best bits’ of the story
The five story titles available are:
How the Elephant Got His Trunk
Too Much Talk
The Giant Turnip
The Three Little Pigs
Anancie And The Drum Of Common Sense
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"I like hearing my own story being played" - Boy aged 6
"I like joining in with the song" - Girl aged 3.5
"I like hearing my voice tell the story" - Girl aged 3.5
- Helps children develop listening skills with interesting stories
- Allows children to practice their speech
- Supports children in understanding the story's plot
What our experts think
This is a lovely series of apps that feature a person telling a story, offering an interesting and fun way for children to develop their listening skills. The children found the storyteller very engaging, and liked joining in with the songs too – it’s great that the app can be used individually or in a group. There is also a game to test children’s understanding of the story, where they need to put the pictures in order of the story’s plot.
Children loved recording themselves telling the story, either repeating what the storyteller has said from memory, or using their imagination to describe the pictures in their own language. When reading, children will often initially speak without rhythm and pitch; this app is really good for helping them develop a more interesting speech pattern, by allowing children to listen back to themselves telling the story.
It would be even better if...
The app needs a parent gate so that children cannot access the links that take them to more stories in the series (if you haven’t already purchased them all.) The ‘write a review’ link (which takes them to iTunes) and ‘tell a friend’ (which takes them to your email account) also need restricting.
- Brands: Day Two Productions Ltd
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Interactive Books & eBooks
- Types of skills developed: Comprehension
Listening and attention
Personal, social & emotional development
Speech, language and communication skills