What is it
Explore the colourful and electrifying world of science and meet all 118 of the elements from the periodic table. Each element has its own look and personality. This is a great app that introduces young children to the general concept of the periodic table and lets them experiment in a virtual chemistry lab without the need of safety goggles. The more the children experiment, the more elements they can choose from.
What our team of testers said
"My blob is dying with cold, i'm pouring ice on it. This is cool" - Girl aged 10
"My blob is getting really dizzy, now its being electrocuted. This is fun" - Girl aged 9
"Its fun and creative" - Boy aged 8
"Everything is good" - Boy aged 8
- Encourages learning about science
- Thinking and reasoning skills
- Promotes concentration and attention skills
What our experts think
Toca Lab by Toca Boca is such a fabulous app to encourage children to experiment. We were delighted to see how much the children enjoyed playing this app – watching the elements whizz around in the centrifuge or get electrocuted or covered in ice!
Developmentally it encourage them to experiment and started to communicate some scientific techniques and principles in a lightweight way. There is plenty of opportunity to help children learn more from using this app and we strongly encourage parents to read the letter to Parents within the parents section (top left on the home screen). Even if your own scientific knowledge is limited, this app can really help you to support your child to learn, discover and experiment with chemistry in a fun, safe way.
It would be even better if...
The concept of the periodic table and elements discovered was lost on most of the children we tested this with. Some contextual tips/information would really help.
- Brands: Toca Boca
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Languages available: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Chinese, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
- Android version: Requires Android 4.0.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Logic, strategy & problem solving
Memory, concentration & attention
Understanding the world