What is it
Shake and tilt your iPad to feed a real lion, make a baby rhino run, meerkats dig or a giraffe lick salt. You can shout to get their attention, or keep still and silent to calm them down.
HD videos of the animals are accompanied by interactive games and quizzes, all narrated with interesting facts about the animal.
Children can also watch the animals in a zoo live in HD and record the activities (such as grooming or playing) they have seen the animals doing or watch the highlights from the day.
What our team of testers said
"Oh phew, lucky she was going to eat me!" (when feeding the lion) - Boy aged 7
"They stand up to look if there's any danger." - Girl aged 6
"My son particularly loved Limon the Lion - it was great to see him calling to him and motivating his reading skills with the quiz" - Mother of 5 year old boy
- Interesting facts help children learn about animals
- Real HD videos let children get up close
- Teaches children about the importance of conservation
What our experts think
Our testers loved feeling like they were really interacting with the animals, throwing them toys and calling them over for feeding time. The facts said aloud by the narrator peaked their interest and it was lovely seeing them learning as they played.
This app can help children learn about animals, their habitats and basic needs, which is part of the Key Stage 1 Science in the National Curriculum. It also explains the importance of conservation which is a valuable topic for children to learn about.
The app could also be used more widely to encourage social/emotional skills through caring for the animals and observing/understanding their behaviour, as well as to open up discussions around understanding the world, geography and a range of other subjects.
It would be even better if...
The animals (apart from Limun the Lion) require a subscription, which is protected by a parent gate; however, the parent gate is quite simple (users are asked to answer a sum) so children may be able to access the subscription area. The quizzes require some reading so younger children may have difficulty choosing their answers.
- Brands: Fountain Digital Labs
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Apple version: iPad
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Animals & Sealife
Understanding the world
- Additional features: Also available on Apple TV.