What is it
English 123 is an English educational app for young children that teaches numeracy using child-friendly counting beads and animals. Children are encouraged to count to ten, trace numbers, match beads to the written number; practise pronunciation; and understand quantities.
Xander, the narrator, guides children through four activities that aim to teach them how to count to 10 in English.
The four games are:
- Let’s count: Learn to recognise and pronounce numbers
- Abacus: Drag colourful beads to the corresponding number
- Write it yourself: Trace the number yourself
- Build it yourself: Drag colourful beads to the matching placeholder
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"Mummy I did a 6, look it's purple my favourite colour." - Girl aged 3
"I like the number drawing." - Girl aged 5
"Straight down and then circle, look mummy number 10" - Girl aged 3
- Encourages children to listen to spoken numbers
- Allows children to see the correspondence between the number (oral and written) and the actual quantity
- Gives children opportunities to write numbers
What our experts think
Xander English 123 is a simple app which is easy for young children to navigate. The app uses clear images and voices and there are no ‘distractions.’ The focus for the app is on learning; children are not only shown the written digits and how to represent them with items, they are also exposed to the spoken word. It is vital that children recognise these links and have opportunities to practise them.
The children liked the drawing section, and again this made the links between the oral number and what it looks like on the page. They also enjoyed the dragging of the beads to make the quantity; again this is very good as it shows children what numbers actually are.
It would be even better if...
The app had limited content; we would like to have seen more for the children to do and the option to extend the numbers beyond 10.
Children need motivating to learn, it would have been nice if, at the end of a section, there was an animation to recognise the children’s achievements.
In the tracing section, the children could be successful even if they didn’t follow the lines – they could just scribble over the number and still get a tick for it!
- Brands: EverAfrica Group (Pty) Ltd
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Android version: 2.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Numeracy, counting & money