What is it
Xander English Shapes and Colours is an English educational app that teaches six basic shapes along with primary and secondary colours. Children can practice the pronunciation of shapes and colours through a range of games and puzzles. There are also opportunities to trace shapes.
Xander, the narrator, guides children through six activities:
- Hear and see the shape
- Hear and see the colour
- Trace the shape
- Drag and drop to make the shape fit
- Shape and colour recognition with matching game
- Identify the shape that fits
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"I got them all mummy!" - Girl aged 3
"Round it goes- look a circle." - Girl aged 3
"Mummy look, I matched 2." - Boy aged 3
- Introduces children to basic shapes and colours
- Encourages children to use matching skills
- Allows children to practise drawing simple shapes
What our experts think
Xander English shapes is a simple app with intuitive game play. It is easy for children to navigate for themselves and enables them to learn simple shapes and colours through a range of activities. Our testers really liked the matching game and kept coming back to this element of the app; this is a good game for not only encouraging shape/colour recognition but also for developing concentration and memory skills. The drawing element, where children could have a go at drawing the shapes, was also a big success.
We liked the fact that there were no distractions and that the app’s primary focus was on learning. Children were shown the shapes and colours and were able to listen to the spoken/ written word as well; this is an important link.
It would be even better if...
In order to extend the app it would be good to see different levels so that children move on as they progress. The app would also have benefited from more shapes and colours – this would have increased the appeal and enabled children to play for longer.
- Brands: EverAfrica Group (Pty) Ltd
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 6.0 or later
- Android version: 2.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Memory, concentration & attention