What is it
Tiggly Maths (previously Tiggly Counts) is inspired by classic cuisenaire rods used in Montessori education, and includes a set of five colourful counting rods that interact with three Tiggly learning apps.
The combination of physical and digital play helps children develop their number sense, counting skills, and understanding of math operations, such as addition and subtraction. The three Tiggly Maths learning apps are:
- Tiggly Cardtoons: helps teach basic maths ideas. Buttons appear on screen when the counting rods are placed on screen and then transform into a variety of objects, encouraging the child’s imagination whilst the counting from the narrator helps reinforce basic numeracy.
- Tiggly Addventure: use the counting rods to guide Tiggly through his adventure over bridges, up ladders and even in outer space to give his grandmother an apple or a present to his friend – all whilst learning basic maths concepts!
- Tiggly Chef: help the chef choose the right quantities of ingredients using counting and basic addition skills to make each recipe.
Tiggly Maths and apps are designed for children aged 3+ years old. They are made out of high quality materials, are visually appealing, soft to the touch, and a weight that’s just right. Soft silicon sensors on the bottom of the counting rods ensure they won’t scratch the tablet screen.
In addition to the 3 free apps that can be downloaded from iTunes, Google Play or Amazon App Store, the counting rods come with a felt carrying pouch for easy storage and transportation.
What our team of testers said
"1, 2, 3 - it's this one" (child counts the number of holes in the counting rod to select the right one) - Boy, aged 3
"Can I play with those pieces in the bag again Mummy?" (At least a month after he first played) - Boy, aged 4
- Helps develop early numeracy, counting & maths skills
- Uses montessori principles to teach basic addition
- Gives preschoolers a fun way to truly understand numbers
What our experts think
This is one of our favourites! A wonderful way to make use of the technology of a tablet to add a fun dimension to learning basic maths. Each of the apps was genuinely enjoyed by our little testers and played with again and again. The learning aspects were well designed to reinforce basic numeracy and number sense, and introduce young children to concepts like addition. The bag to carry the counting rods makes it a great toy to travel with – so little to take with you yet 3 games to keep children amused.
- RRP: £29.99
- Brands: Tiggly
- Dimensions: Height: 1.9 cm/0.75 in.
Width: 13.97 cm/5.5 in.
Length: 16.51 cm/6.5 in.
- Interact with an app
- Toy Types: Electronic & app toys
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Numeracy, counting & money