What is it
With Toca Life Hospital children can welcome newborn babies into the world, treat sick patients and even say goodbye to loved ones. Toca Life: Hospital is a place where you can play out the joy and pain of life in your own way.
Live the circle of life
- The beginning… – Welcoming a new baby into the world can be a little scary and very exciting! Share in that excitement as we welcome newborn babies to Toca Life. Family members and medical staff can love and care for these tiny, swaddled cuties.
- The end… – Sometimes sad moments happen in hospitals, too. The farewell room in Toca Life: Hospital gives loved ones a chance to say goodbye in a peaceful setting.
- …and everything in between – Toca Life: Hospital lets you tell make-believe stories about checkups, X-rays and all the everyday things that happen in a hospital.
- Explore five floors: basement, main entrance, lab and treatment, family care and general care.
- Move characters from floor to floor in the big elevator.
- Baby on the way? Use the ultrasound machine on the expectant patient.
- Aww, newborns: Welcome babies to the world!
- Use the CAT scan machine (ours has cat ears!) and X-ray machine to diagnose patients.
- Check surgery patients’ vitals on the medical monitor.
- Use all the tools you’d find in a real-life hospital: gurneys, bandages, crutches, hospital beds, wheelchairs and more.
- Crack the code on the mysterious machine to explore the secret lab.
- Find peace and say goodbye to loved ones in the farewell room.
- Set the tone for your story with just the right music, from a dramatic hospital theme to a relaxing, mellow tune.
Create videos of your own hospital drama
Use the in-app recording feature to create an original video! This feature records your voice and your characters’ movements as you’re telling the story. Create videos up to two minutes long and save them to your camera roll to share later!
What our team of testers said
"I can see her heart." - Boy aged 5
"I went to hospital and had an X-ray." - Girl aged 7
- Develops empathy and social awareness
- Teaches children about the circle of life
- Promotes imaginative play and storytelling
What our experts think
Toca Hospital is a delightfully animated app; our testers loved the variety of levels and characters, and the fact that there were so many interactive objects to explore. We liked the way the app didn’t avoid the topic of death and this could be used to promote discussion with children; lots of the testers naturally related what they saw to their real life experiences.
The app was intuitive and there were lots of giggles whilst the children were playing (they particularly liked the pigeon on the toilet!). The open ended nature is great and really encourages imaginative play, with no pressure to win or achieve a goal. While playing and creating stories, children can learn about hospitals and how they work; this can be used to prepare children for an impending hospital visit and also promotes empathy and social awareness.
- Brands: Toca Boca
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 8.0 or later
- Android version: 4.3 and up
- App Types: Entertainment
- Types of skills developed: Creativity
Health, hygiene & self-care
Managing feelings & behaviour
People and communities
Personal, social & emotional development
Social awareness & empathy
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world