Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that is both hearty and delicious.
Here’s a simple recipe for kids under 12 to make their own lasagna from scratch. We’ve also included suggestions for substituting ingredients to accommodate different dietary requirements.
- 250g lasagna noodles
- 500g ground beef or ground turkey (substitute with lentils or mushrooms for vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (substitute with vegan cheese for vegetarian/vegan)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (substitute with vegan cheese for vegetarian/vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey (or substitute) over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until softened.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil to the skillet. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Layer the lasagna noodles over the tomato sauce, then spoon some of the meat sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle some mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of cheese on top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before serving.
To accommodate different dietary requirements, you can substitute ground beef or turkey with lentils or mushrooms for a vegetarian or vegan version.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free lasagna noodles.
For a halal or kosher version, make sure the ground meat is certified halal or kosher.
For a pescatarian version, you can substitute the ground meat with seafood such as shrimp or crab.
Lasagna is a versatile dish that can be customized with different vegetables and sauces.
Encourage your child to experiment with different flavours and ingredients to create their own unique version of lasagna. And don’t forget to enjoy your delicious and hearty creation!